A healthy uterus is essential for good fertility.
Blood circulates easily when it is warm. Research has shown that better blood flow to the uterus is associated with higher pregnancy outcomes. On the other hand, cold can damage the uterus by decreasing its blood supply. Coldness will cause blood flow to slow down, which in turn leads to painful periods, clots in menstrual blood, uterine fibroids, and endometriosis. All of these are associated with decreased fertility.
Symptoms of a cold uterus can include:
- Painful periods
- Dark red menstrual blood with clots
- Cold hands and feet
- Low back pain
- Uterine fibroids
What causes a cold uterus and infertility?
Consuming cold foods and iced beverages cause the body to cool down, which slows blood flow and contributes to cold in the uterus. This is especially true during the winter months.
If your feet get cold, it chills the blood circulating through your feet. That cold blood travels up your legs and into your abdomen and uterus, chilling the uterus as well.
How do you warm a cold uterus to improve fertility and promote a healthy uterus?
- Consume warm food and beverages
- Drink warm beverages such as ginger tea or hot water with lemon
- Eat warm foods – soups and stews
- Keep cold and raw foods to a minimum
- Avoid iced beverages
- Keep your feet warm
- Wear warm socks and shoes
- Have cozy slippers at home
- Wear socks to bed
- Take warm foot baths
- Use a heating pads or hot water bottle on your lower abdomen anytime there is pain or you feel cold
- Get regular acupuncture
- Take Chinese medicinal herbs
If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have questions on fertility and how a healthy uterus can improve your fertility, we can answer your questions and help you get scheduled for your first appointment!
Call today 510-595-1175!