Preparing for IVF has the following goals:
- Boost ovarian response to improve both egg quality and quantity
- Support the uterine environment to increase implantation rates
- Set the stage for a healthy and successful pregnancy
1) Increase IVF Success: Supplements For IVF
Supplements can help increase both egg quality and quantity, which in turn improves IVF success.
Ideally these are taken for a minimum of three – four months prior to the retrieval cycle. This is the time it takes for the eggs to mature.
Read about these supplements in more detail in our blog How to Improve Egg Quality.
- CoQ10, 600 mg daily
- Vitamin D, 5000 iu daily
- Inositol, 3 grams daily
- Melatonin, 3 mg at bedtime
- Vitamin C, 1000 mg 3 x daily
- Vitamin E, 800 iu daily
- Resveratrol, 1800 mg daily
- DHEA, 25 mg, 3 x day
2) Increase IVF Success: Acupuncture
Acupuncture is a powerful treatment approach to include as part of an IVF treatment plan. Research has shown that acupuncture significantly increases IVF success rates (citation below).
Acupuncture works to:
- Reduce stress and promote relaxation
- Improve ovarian function, leading to more robust eggs
- Increase blood flow to the reproductive organs
- Enhance the uterine environment, leading to better implantation of the embryo
- Minimize side effects of drugs during stimulation cycles
A typical pre-IVF treatment plan includes acupuncture once or twice a week, ideally for twelve weeks (or more) prior to their IVF cycle. Eggs that will be retrieved during an IVF cycle have been maturing for three – four months. The benefits of acupuncture during this maturation process can improve both the quantity and the quality of eggs, thereby increasing the odds of a successful pregnancy.
Research shows that the best results come with 12 or more acupuncture sessions prior to the IVF cycle. Acupuncture continues through the IVF stimulation cycle, usually twice weekly, to improve response to the stimulation drugs and minimize side effects.
Impact of Whole Systems Traditional Chinese Medicine on In Vitro Fertilization Outcomes
Lee E. Hullender Rubin,a Michael S. Opsahl,b Klaus Wiemer,b Scott D. Mist,c and Aaron B. Caugheyc
3) Increase IVF Success: Stress Management
Going through an IVF cycle is stressful. Between scheduling, medications, and one’s emotional investment in the outcome, stress levels run high.
Taking steps to manage one’s overall stress is highly recommended.
- Scale back on commitments
- Stay flexible, IVF schedules can change at the last minute
- Get some acupuncture
4) Increase IVF Success: Keep Your Blood Sugars Normal
Abnormal blood sugars are a leading cause of fertility issues. High or low blood sugars will disrupt hormones, suppress egg maturation and interfere with the successful implantation of an embryo.
The keys to keeping your blood sugars normal are:
- Start with breakfast every day
- Eat a meal or snack every 3 hours
- Emphasize plenty of protein
- Limit carbs, such as grains
- Avoid sugary foods and beverages
5) Increase IVF Success: Get Enough Sleep
Sleep plays a critical role in fertility.
Getting enough sleep – 8 hours a night – during an IVF cycle is important to:
- Balance your hormones
- Reduce stress
- Give your body the rest it needs while doing the hard work of making a baby
You deserve a clinician who will take the time to listen, understand your individual needs, and support you during your fertility journey. Someone who has experience. If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, we can answer your questions and help you get scheduled for your first appointment! Call today 510-595-1175!
Please visit our shop page here to learn more about our recommend vitamins and supplements.